Learn more from the county hedgerow surveys, published research, reports, and other materials.
County Hedgerow Surveys
More details are available from your Local Authority Heritage Officers.
- County Kildare Hedgerow Survey
- County Leitrim Hedgerow Survey Report
- County Longford Hedgerow Survey Report
- County Mayo Hedgerow Survey
- County Monaghan Hedgerow Survey Report
- County Offaly Hedgerow Survey Report
- County Sligo Hedgerow Survey
- East Galway Hedgerow Survey
- Fingal Hedgerow Survey Report
- North Kerry Hedgerow Survey Report
Published Research & Reports
- Irish Hedgerows: Networks for Nature
- Ancient and Species Rich Hedgerows in Dublin City
- Hedgerow Diversity: An international perspective on their origin, function and management – Research paper on international hedgerow diversity
- Importance of our Hedgerows – A list of the key benefits provided to society by healthy hedgerows compiled by Hedgelink UK
- Irish Stoat Project – Final report on how stoats use hedgerows for moving around the countryside.
- Re-structuring hedges: Rejuvenation management can improve the long term quality of hedgerow habitats for wildlife in the UK – Research paper on hedgerow rejuvenation techniques
- RSPB evidence/advisory note: August hedge cutting and nesting birds – Research by RSPB into effects of August hedge cutting on nesting birds.
- Provision of Ecosystem Services Through The Environmental Stewardship Scheme – This report for DEFRA indicates that hedgerows provide more environmental services than any other habitat covered in the UK’s Agri-Environmental Scheme
- Hedgerow Translocation Project Report
- Useful Books
Organisations & Policy Documents
- Teagasc – Hedgerows Page
- Agricultural Historical Society of Ireland
- Dutch Hedgerow / Hedge laying Group
- Environmental Pillar of Social Partnership
- Hedgelink – working together for the UK’s hedgerows
- Irish Environmental Network
- National Hedge Laying Society (Britain)
- Woodlands of Ireland
- ACRES – Agri-Climate Rural Environment Scheme
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development NI – Countryside Management
- 2016 31 Days, 31 Reasons Complete – All of the 31 Facebook posts that went with our campaign to oppose proposed changes to the Wildlife Act.
- 2016 Hedgecut Pilot Submission – A submission by the HLAI to Tipperary County Council’s Hedgecut Pilot project calling for reconciling roadside biodiversity and road safety.
- 2016 Meeting with DAFM over Hedgerow Measures in GLAS – The Minutes and Follow Up Comments of our Meeting with DAFM over the Hedgerow Measures in GLAS
- 2019 HLAI Heritage Ireland 2030 Submission
- Crookedstone – Details of George Midgley’s hedge laying work at Cunningham’s Farm, Crookedstone, Co. Antrim in the late 1930’s
- Diary Transcripts – From the letters of George Midgley and the diary of Josias Cunningham.
- HAS Publication Final (Mar. 2013) – Hedgerow Appraisal System. Best Practice Guidance on Hedgerow Surveying, Data Collation and Appraisal.
- Hedge Laying Tools – List of suppliers of hedging tools and related services
- Hedgerows – Soil Savers Poster
- Hedgerows – Soils Savers References – References for the information contained on the poster
- Hedges is Agri-Environment Schemes – Submission to DAFM by HLAI Dec 2013 on how Hedgerow Measures should be dealt with in GLAS