Hedge Laying Training
Find a training day and learn about how to seek professional accreditation.
Learn about the ancient art of hedge laying! We are running a number of Introduction to Hedge Laying – and Advanced Hedge Laying – Courses during the current hedge laying season.
Hedge laying is an ancient skill, involving a rejuvenative process that keeps the hedgerow young and vigorous indefinitely. It is considered the optimum form of management for our native hedgerows and it is hard to overstate its value in preserving habitats for our threatened wildlife. Join us in learning how best to manage and rejuvenate Ireland’s hedgerows.
Training days will teach you to begin managing your own hedgerows and to judge when it is necessary to seek the assistance of an accredited hedge layer. Training will involve a safety briefing, an introduction to the concept and benefits of hedge laying, and practical demonstrations and practice in the skills of hedge laying on a specially selected hedge, on a working farm. Tools will be provided, but participants must wear suitable outdoor and protective clothing.
To access the booking form, click the link on the date that suits you:
- Introduction to Hedge Laying (€120 non-members/€100 members): Friday 10th February 2023 – Portumna, Co. Galway. Click here to book.
- Introduction to Hedge Laying (€120 non-members/€100 members): Saturday 11th February 2023 – Portumna, Co. Galway. Click here to book.
- Intermediate/Advanced Hedge Laying (€160 non-members/€140 members): Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th February 2023 – Liffey View, Celbridge. Click here to book. *Please note: you must have completed a previous hedge laying course to take part. This is a 2-day course.
- Introduction to Hedge Laying (€120 non-members/€100 members): Friday 17th February 2023 – Ranelagh, Dublin 6. Click here to book.
- Introduction to Hedge Laying (€120 non-members/€100 members): Saturday 18th February 2023 – Ranelagh, Dublin 6. Click here to book.
More dates may be added for 2023, so please check back in if none of the days above suit your schedule.
You can become an accredited hedge layer by completing an accreditation award with the UK National Hedgelaying Society. Please contact us with any questions.